Saturday 14 February 2015

Hobartian Patisseries

I've been on a mini mission the past couple of weeks and it involves two of my favourite things. 
Tea and cake.

Hobart is famous for its fine produce and one thing that we don't lack down here is a good olde bakery. (Sorry, patisserie).
There is so many to choose from so I thought I'd give you a couple of options. 

First up I've got a couple of high profile Hobart staples. 
Jackman and McRoss is a Hobart icon. 
Tourists and locals flock to three city based stores to sample some of the best sweet and savory treats in the state. 

Their dining rooms are always simple and relaxed with freshly baked produce adorning every open space. I headed to the Battery Point store recently to refresh my memory. We enjoyed a J&M take on a vanilla slice and a strawberry and pistachio tart.  
Along with tea it's a gorgeous afternoon snack in a gorgeous location.
I've also had seriously delicious savory breakfasts and lunches from Jackman and McRoss. 

Next up Daci & Daci
Another extremely renowned patisserie on our shores.
Daci have a beautifully styled shop close to the waterfront that will transport you to Europe in a flash. 

The amount of cakes and pastries on show along with savory delights is almost overwhelming.
Almost.
The range in Daci is outstanding and it all looks mouthwatering.
I opted for the chocolate and hazelnut tart.

 
It was totally perfect. I can't fault it, beautifully made and expertly presented.
Daci & Daci bring a sophistication to Hobart that you are likely to find in cities around the world.
I'm always so proud to show off these world renowned 'bakeries' to out of town visitors and share them with friends when we have catch ups.

Now for something in my opinion more 'Hobart'. 
To me the high profile patisseries feel like they are giving me an almost foreign experience. 
Little Missy Patisserie makes me feel right at home.
Located on the way to North Hobart it's a little bit out of the way but it makes up for it with its charm.
A cute, kitsch tea room feel with an open kitchen where you can see the amazing food being created.
I went for a citrusy number. Lemon brûlée tart.
It tasted fantastic and I saw the chef blow torch the top before she brought it to our table, bonus.
The table tops and side boards are dotted with delicacies and whilst we were there a delicious looking cake was popped up right next to me. 
As I've mentioned before I like to be part of the process and I'd seen the chef baking this chocolate salted caramel cake when we first arrived. (Note chocolate shards on the kitchen picture above and below on the outside of the cake).
 
It would be rude not to try it.
Beautiful flavours and all around great cake.
Little Missy offers no European feel just amazing food and Hobartian hospitality.
You might find places in Hobart where you feel as though you're somewhere else but this little spot is totally ours.
Which ever one you decided to pick for your sugar fix you can't go wrong with any one of these.

Where do you treat your sweet tooth? I'd love to know of any sneaky cake shops I've not visited yet! 
Jackman & McRoss Bakeries on Urbanspoon Daci & Daci Bakers on Urbanspoon Little Missy Patisserie on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to Little Missy Patisserie, I'm pretty sure I just know how good this place must be if i could I would be there in a shot for a chat, some tea and of course some sweet treat. Well done Oonagh!

    ReplyDelete