Sunday 21 September 2014

Weekend Markets & New Foodie Favourites


A couple of new places have popped up in the city over the past couple of weeks and I made my way to have a nosy!
First off I had heard that Pigeon Whole Bakery (who supply Pigeon Hole in West Hobart) had moved to a bigger space in town, they do the best sourdough and so I was eager to see what was new. Turns out they are operating out of a hole in the window on Argyle Street.
I picked up a sourdough doughnut with a lemon curd type filling and it was as delicious as expected. I could have gone a sweeter filling choice with the savory dough but I have the worlds biggest sweet tooth and maybe they will add more flavours in the future.

The lovely lady did inform me that there will soon follow an eatery next door, and if these little treats and Pigeon Hole are anything to go by I for one can't wait!
Find the details for Pigeon Whole Bakers here and Pigeon Hole Cafe here.

Then, I was heading to Vita when I was shocked to see that Providore had opened it's doors, I'd heard about it in the paper and from the folks at Vita but thought it would have taken longer - so, so glad it didn't! 
Inside their shelves are filled with homemade goodies, made at Ethos.
It's all very Scandinavian. Open spaces filled with light and tall shelves filled with delicious food and beverages.
And then they have this spectacular salad bar, it works in the same way as Vita - take a plate or a box, fill it up, weight it and pay. 
Their salad range was pretty special and tasted fantastic, I wasn't sure id be a fan of raw cauliflower but turns out it's pretty nice! 
Anyway, you know me, I eat the salad so I can have dessert and when I saw that they had Cronuts, my face lit up. The Cronut is almost an urban legend in Hobart.
An American invention of using croissant pastry, frying it and adding toppings like a doughnut. Totally, ridiculously unhealthy but seriously, stupidly good. Buy one. Probs share it to avoid inevitable sugar high/come down.
Their other desserts looked pretty sweet too.
Find the info for Providore at the bottom of this post! 
Such awesome additions to our already fantastic city.

Recently I've also been really enjoying markets, Re-Loved featured last week.
I like a casual wander around a bustling space, I like the atmosphere and I love the treasures that I find. It's something nice to get me out of the house on a Saturday morning if I don't have anything else planned.
Hobart has a pretty special range from Salamanca to Shabby and I headed to a couple of local ones and thought I would share them with you.
Firstly, Lazy-May. They hold markets frequently and change the location which I like because it gives me chance to explore new areas (and by 'areas' I mean coffee shops, and by 'explore' I mean eat things).

It's made up of Tasmanian crafters, bakers and candle makers and offers a really good choice of handmade gifts and home wares.
 
The organisers obviously really try to make these events super special with local, live music and it's really nice to see events held for our local talents to display and sell their products.
I was disappointed to see it wasn't that busy for them when we went (it was on a rainy Saturday) and I really encourage you to head down and support our local businesses!
The next one is beach front on November 2nd in Sandy Bay, should be lovely on a (hopefully) sunny Sunday afternoon! Such a great place to buy gifts too! Find all of their info here and their Facebook page here.

This weekend was another market, The Shabby Market. Alike Lazy-May they move locations and apparently have a summer market at Margate Train (pancakes+market = my perfect Saturday).
 
I loved Shabby, their range of stalls was really great, it was sufficiently busy to have a fantastic atmosphere and the organsiers had gone to heaps of effort to make it look the part.
I really enjoyed K-Rex Collection.

And Artique (I couldn't find their info I'm sorry!)

Along with heaps more handmade delights it made for a very satisfying Saturday! And if you have children they had heaps of stuff for the little ones, I don't have children but found myself contemplating the purchase of a bib!


I was sold with this one, any of my friends that are reading this, I'm taking you along next time as I went alone and missed out on afternoon tea from Luscious Lil Cupcakes.

I also somehow managed to miss Honey Child & Sweet MacQueen and I've been dying to try them!! They have a van that moves around selling food, follow them on Facebook here and see if they pop up near you! 
Has anyone tried them? I'd love to hear what you think!
I can't find a date for the next Shabby Market but will pop it in the comments box and on my Facebook when I do! You can also follow them here and be at the front of the queue!

Did you get to anywhere good this weekend?
Share if you did, I'm always on the look out for places to fill my days, especially with this beautiful weather!

Providore on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the sneak peak into the new cafes - eher the ercury used to be, right? no one i know has been yet. i must check it out after seeing your pics and reading what you've said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are more than welcome! Always on the look out for new spots in our city! And yes, it's in the old Mercury building!
    Love your recipes! X
    P.S. I noticed that the pigeon whole bakery had chocolate custard doughnuts this week, yum!

    ReplyDelete