Monday 15 December 2014

Capital, Smolt & The Mt Nelson Signal Station Brasserie

Hey everyone! Feels like a while since I posted but that's because I've been eating my way around Hobart (as usual!)
Let me tell you where I've been!
First up a newbie on the North Hobart scene. Capital.
It's located in the same building where Marti Zucco's used to be but inside it's totally different.

It has been given a really industrial, cool makeover. It looks super modern and in my opinion it takes North Hobart up a level in the style department.
Three hungry ladies went for dinner last week and right away I felt like I was in the right place.
We started a little untraditionally with pizza for entree. Hey, carbs are my thing.
The menu is very vast and it all sounds mouthwatering. We finally opted for the meatball pizza. I think we made a good choice, check it.
Delicious thin, crisp base with fresh, tasty toppings. Yum.
I decided to back track for mains and went for a selection of antipasti.
Deep breath...
Eggplant fritti with blue cheese and honey dressing, three cheese and wild mushroom arancini, pork belly with gorgonzola and fig jam AND lightly crumbed prawn skewers with salsa Verde.
It was simple, great food. The pork belly was my highlight. The bite of the blue cheese and the sweetness of the jam just balanced it out stunningly.
My lady friends both opted for the fettucine alla boscaiola. Equally delicious. 
 If you can't tell I enjoyed Capital, like, a lot.
One thing I was very impressed with was the service. Personally I haven't always experienced great service in Hobart. I don't feel as though its a predominant feature of a restaurant here but after you experience great service it really highlights how important it actually is.
Try Capital. Over order. Enjoy, amici.

Now for breakfast.
We headed to The Signal Station Brasserie on Mount Nelson to admire the view and sample the breakfast menu.
The building is slightly dated but who cares when you can look outside to this.
The menu is pretty standard breakfast fare.
The time old debate of sweet or savory was won by eggs. I had eggs Florentine (with a particularly vinegary hollandaise). 
The ladies that I breakfasted with had eggs Benedict (with a buttery, delicious hollandaise).
And the breakfast 'brushetta' with crispy bacon, poached eggs, Huon Valley mushroom and pesto.
The food was nice, just nice, nothing extra special but good portion sizes and well cooked food.
The reason I'm suggesting this place is because of the truly spectacular location.
Imagine even just coffee here.
Bliss.
Then add eggs and bacon. Heaven.
Find the info for Mount Nelson Signal Station Brasserie here!

Last but not least, Smolt.
Despite always hearing rave reviews, I'd had a particularly average dinner at Smolt in the past.
I decided to give them another go.
The location is fantastic in prime real estate in Salamanca Place and the building is modern and classic.
The menu is breakfast with flair. Italian and Spanish flair according to Smolt.
I easily choose parmesan confit mushrooms with house baked toast, goats curd and fresh herbs.
It was really, really special. Perfectly cooked and perfectly balanced. Rich, fresh, salty and creamy.
My breakfast buddies had a selection of breakfast dishes.
Scrambled eggs with mushrooms, fine herbs and toasted ciabatta.
Potato and rosemary french toast, house cured thick cut bacon and house relish.
I tried some of this and had menu envy. I'd never thought about savory french toast but it was executed to perfection.
I most definitely would recommend breakfast at Smolt. And after my experience I'm keen to give the dinner menu another shot too.
One slight criticism is that Smolt doesn't offer gluten free bread, not a problem for me personally but I have friends with gluten intolerance and I've come to expect to see an alternative.
On the other hand I had truly great service at Smolt, the second time in a week where I was really taken aback by the quality of the service and yet again it made such a difference. Keep it up waiting staff of Hobart!

I know it's not quite the end of the year yet but I've already started thinking back about what a crazy year it's been! This year I started writing The Hobart Life and I'm totally loving sharing my experiences with you.
So, to say thanks I wanted to offer two of you lovely readers a little Christmas gift.
I will pick two readers and you can each choose a voucher to try anywhere that I have reviewed on The Hobart Life this year! There are quite a few but I fully recommend all of them so really, you cant go wrong! 
Alternatively if you're not a Hobart local I've got a pretty awesome Tassie food hamper to give away so you can enter and I'll get it to you for a taste of Hobart!


Same drill as last time, if you haven't already 'liked' my page on Facebook do that and you automatically go in the draw. You can find it here The Hobart Life Facebook.
If you are already a fan just comment 'Merry Christmas' on my page OR share my latest post and you'll be added!
You COULD do all three and have three chances!
 

I will announce the winner on my Facebook page on Christmas Eve!

Merry Christmas, everyone! X

Smolt on Urbanspoon Capital on Urbanspoon Signal Station Brasserie on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Haven't tried a pasta from Capital yet, but it looks like I'm going to have to change that! That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete